From Waterproofing to Underpinning
Our expert team will transform your unusable damp basement into a dry & cozy living space.
Our basement remediation services include exterior excavation and waterproofing, interior water control systems, weeping tile & sump pit installations, epoxy & polyurethane injections, structural concrete re-enforcement with carbon fiber, basement lowering, underpinning and bench-pinning.
Lowering & Underpinning
All underpinning work is performed by our experts and overseen by geotechnical and structural engineers, as well as City inspectors. A typical underpinning project can span 4-6 weeks and cost between $35,000-$60,000 which includes engineering, permits, underpinning, sub-floor drainage system, interior waterproofing and slab. Ready to be finished - anything from storage to a legal secondary dwelling unit.
Another option to lower the basement floors without underpinning is "bench-pinning". Bench-pinning is less expensive than underpinning because it requires minimal structural work. Instead of extending the foundation under the footing, a "curb" is along the existing creating a ledge along the perimeter of the exterior walls. The width of the curb will be similar size as the new depth. If your lowering the floor by 12", the new curb will be 12" wide. This method will reduces the usable finished space, therefore not always the best for smaller basements.
The Underpinning Process
- Initial consultation
- Consult with geotechnical and structural engineers
- Drawings & permit application
- Seal all openings to main floor. Enlarge existing basement window to allow access from outside. This eliminates all traffic within the house during construction.
- Excavate & underpin foundation
- Install new drainage system and air gap membrane
- Repair/replace underground plumbing
- Add drainage layer and pour concrete floor
- Install new basement window(s)
- Cleanup and dispose of all waste materials
The Benefits of Underpinning & Lowering Your Basement Floor
- Provides extra living space and adds value to your home
- Add a legal secondary dwelling that generates extra income
- Improves the living conditions of your house by providing better air flow and air quality with reduced dampness in the basement
- Fortifies your existing foundation and creates a water control system that will keep your basement dry
- Improves ground water drainage
- Eliminate seepage of radon gas
- 15-Year Transferable Warranty on all structural work
Complete Waterproofing Services
Blueprint offers multiple solutions when it comes to wet basements. The most common being multi-membrane exterior repair. All excavation is performed with high pressure water and vacuum using hydrovac equipment. This method significantly reduces damage to yours and your neighbors property and it's safer when digging around underground utilities. All native soil is then disposed only clean back fill is re-enstated. Typically a mix of 3/4" clear stone, sand and/or top soil which allows for proper drainage and eliminates settlement. It's also the perfect base for any future interlock work.